The Daily Report is a legal newspaper that has been published continously since August 21, 1907. It was founded by two local attorneys, W. E. Simpson and W. B Chaplin, who saw a need for a paper that could capsulize the goings on of the business community. Their motto was “A Business Paper for Business Men.”
Because Mr. Simpson was ready to run for the office of Kern County District attorney, the owners sold the paper to Ross C. Miller, the city editor for The Bakersfield Californian, on April 3, 1914. Due to a perceived conflict of interest, Mr. Miller sold The Daily Report after only two months to Otis Hymer. At that time, the location of the paper moved to the Taylor Arcade Building, located in the center of what is now the Bank of America Tower on the corner of Chester and Truxtun in downtown Bakersfield.
Mr. Hymer owned The Daily Report until 1942, when his assistant publisher, Wililam Breitinger bought him out. Coincidentally, Mr. Breitinger and Ross Miller were brothers-in-law. Mr. Breitinger and his wife Edna owned the paper for 15 years, when they sold it to their son, Don Breitinger in 1957. When the Taylor Building was to be destroyed to make way for the new Bank of America, Don Breitinger moved the offices to the Haberfelde Building, where it remained for nearly 40 years. On July 1, 1977, he sold the paper to his sister, Gay Thurber. Under Mrs. Thurber’s direction, the paper became fully self-sufficient from start to finish, print shop included. Mrs. Thurber owned the paper until January 1, 1995 when she sold it to her daughter, Anne Marino. In 1997 the paper and print shop moved to its present location at 310 H Street, Bakersfield.
Family owned since 1942, The Daily Report is proud to be part of Kern County history and looks forward to serving the community in the new millenium.